RE: OT - interviewing your superior(fun question)

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:37:54 -0700

Then they wouldn't be ISO9001 certified, where design comes into play. If kicking boxes doesn't do much, why is it in the process and get rid of it. If kicking the boxes helps verify that packing procedures do protect the product well, then incorporate it into audit procedures. No need to do it for every box, though, a few per batch should be enough to get reliable stats.

ISO9002 just covers consistent delivery and being able to track where problems occur so you can fix them, does it not?

I was actually working on GLP (Good Laboratory Practice) standards, which is a bit different, but it was interesting to see people's reaction, depending on whether they were organized or not to begin with.

Some people saw it as a positive thing, other not, most people just saw it as part of the work environment because they were, after all, trying to get FDA approval for something.

I believe these things work best in areas where processes don't change often, like manufacturing. For research departments, forget about trying to document standardized procedures because people don't know what they will do from one day to the next, each day's results drive the next day's work. Also every few months, once a project is finished, they start another project which may have almost nothing to do with what they were doing before.

Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

        Author: Boivin, Patrice J

        Author: Christopher Spence