RE: New system, cart blanche, what to buy

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:46:04 -0700

I was told to "Design us a system to use" ..... it was fun. What was decided on was :

  1. AIX on an S70a (biggest at the time)
  2. 32 - 2 GB SSA Drives
  3. 32 - 4 GB SSA Drives
  4. 32 - 9 GB SSA Drives
  5. 4 GB Memory
  6. 4 Processors
  7. 2 5GB Scsi Drives for the System

What this gave us was
1. We could put the system on 1 of the SCSI drives and then Mirror it to the second. Now we, if we lost a system drive, would could replace it without taking the system down.
2. The 2 GB Drives were used for much of the Oracle , Non-Data drives. We could put our Archive logs, Redo Logs, System Tablespaces, Temp Space, etc. all on seperate mount points on seperate spindles. We only used 16 at first ... the other 16 were mirrored.
3. The Data went on the 4 and 9 GB Drives. These were also mirrored.

As time went on , our users wanted space and did not care about the safety of mirrors so they made us break all the mirrors on the SSA Drive and use them as data drives. Not safe .... but the SSAs performed very well and we had no data failures in 4 years.

I loved the AIX System. It was very solid ..... and very expensive.

A friend of mine running oracle on NT called me up frantically one day and asked

"My NT Oracle server comes down about 4 or 5 times a day !!! How often does your AIX server go down ??"

My answer ....

"When I take it down ."

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com