RE: New system, cart blanche, what to buy

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:55:48 -0700

        >All the cool utilities that you take for granted on Solaris
        > and Linux simply do not exist on AIX.
I think that may change, in it's own way... Here is what IBM is saying about Linux & AIX 5L Ver 5.1
(we just have to wait and see ;) More stuff at http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/os/51spec.html

Linux affinity for flexible solutions

                    AIX provides a wide choice of critical UNIX business
solutions, leadership
                    technology and strategic flexibility for the future. A
strong affinity between AIX
                    and Linux provides APIs that allow popular applications
developed on Linux to
                    run on AIX with a simple recompilation. These APIs work
in conjunction with
                    Linux open source software available separately from IBM
as the AIX Toolbox
                    for Linux Applications. Customers can port existing
Linux open source
                    applications to AIX, enhance those applications and
develop portable
                    applications utilizing common Linux development tools.

                    AIX incorporates Linux compatible APIs and header files
to provide source
                    compatibility. AIX and the AIX Toolbox for Linux
Applications can help
                    customers realize a smooth technology transition between
two of the
                    industry's most open standards-based operating
environments, AIX and Linux.

Regards,

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com