Tuning in VXFS & Quick I/O

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infy.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:08:54 -0700

AIM - Performance Tuning on O.S. & Veritas

SETUP -
DB Server :-
E3500 m/c = 2 CPUs , 2 GB RAM
Solaris 8 on ORA 8.1.7.1
Database on VXFS Filesystem with Quick I/O Installed . RAID 0 with 64 K Stripe Size using VXVM & 8 K VXFS Block Size Software RAID Configured as H/W RAID NOT Supported by the A5200 Storage Box.
db_block_size=8 K

Benchmarking Run Done on a Banking Application . 5000 Transactions Distributed Between 200 Concurrent User Processes are Executed
Transactions' Mix = OLTP & Batch Runs in the ratio 70:30 percent respectively

/etc/vfstab :-
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/vol01 /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/vol01 /in1/db1

vxfs    3       yes     mincache=direct,convosync=direct

/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/vol02 /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/vol02 /in1/db2
vxfs 3 yes mincache=direct,convosync=direct
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/vol03 /dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg/vol03 /in1/db3
vxfs 3 yes mincache=direct,convosync=direct
/etc/vx/tunefs :-
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/vol01 qio_cache_enable=1
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/vol02 qio_cache_enable=1
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/vol03 qio_cache_enable=1

Qs. What Parameters Can be additionally Set on the O.S. & Veritas to Give a performance Benefit

Qs. Should the Tempfiles Also be Converted to Quick I/O (QIO) & Thereafter De-Sparsed ?

NOTE - After Converting the Existing Database's Files to Quick I/O (Running mkqio.sh) , NO performance benefit was Observed between the NON-QIO & QIO Converted Database in the Benchmark Runs .

Upon Setting the parameters mincache=direct,convosync=direct in
/etc/vfstab & qio_cache_enable=1 in /etc/vx/tunefstab Files for the VXFS
Filesyatems Containing the Database , Some Business Types of Transactions promarily Batch in Nature Improved Distinctly Though the OLTP Trans, Types Continued to perform at the Same Rate

Author: VIVEK_SHARMA
  INET: VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infy.com