Re: Need help getting started

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:34:10 -0700

Karen,

Does your college or university have a formal internship program? If they do, a short-term internship might be the way to go. That would be some experience under your belt. Once you got into a company, you'd make good contacts there to try to extend your employment once the formal internship is finished.

You might try doing some volunteer work. Some newspapers have regular columns that list volunteer opportunities - I've seen some technical ones. You could contact a local volunteer coordination organization and ask them if they have any appropriate opportunities.

You could also create your own volunteer opportunity by asking at your college or university, religious organization, kid's school, etc. if they have any work that they need to have done. If you have a pc, I think that you can still download personal Oracle for free and put it on your pc. You could look for any opportunity to organize some records for a newsletter, a grading system, etc.

Have you tried contacting recruiting companies? Sometimes I think it's easier to go through them then to apply directly to companies yourself. They might have better knowledge of which places would be receptive to someone without pertinent experience.

I would think smaller companies would be more open to someone without direct experience. Don't look only at really big places.

Ask around to people that you know. Do they know of any openings? Do they have any contacts. It's always easier to get your foot in the door with someone that you know.

Try Oracle user's groups. Minneapolis has the Twin Cities Oracle Users group that meets quarterly. You can search for their web site with Google. You can introduce yourself to people at the meetings and network there. Mention that you are looking for work.

Hope these suggestions help,

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

                    Sllewnerak_at_ao

                    l.com                To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.        Subject:     Need help getting started

                    com

                    06/19/01

                    10:15 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

This is kind of a different Oracle question. Does anyone have any suggestions
how a person can land an entry level job. I do not work in the Technology field but would very much like to. I have been going to school at night for

about two and a half years
and have the first two OCP developers tests behind me and am working on the

third now. I have a 3.9 GPA and can't even get an interview. How do you get

experience if no one will hire you? I have even offered to work for free in

the evenings or on my days off. I live in Minneapolis and would really appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have. Thanks, Karen

  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 20 2001 - 07:34:10 CDT