Re: Disk configuration

From: KC <kchan_at_speednet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:31:30 -0700

Kevin,

Thanks for your input. I was trying to put certain datafiles on contiguous disk space, tell me if I am wrong, I try to avoid the situation where you want to create a 2G file, but the file system don't have a 2G contiguous space, so your flle is broken into multiple pieces, can that happen??

KC
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">

    -----Original Message-----From:
    Kevin Lange <<A
    href="mailto:kgel_at_ppoone.com">kgel_at_ppoone.com>To: Multiple     recipients of list ORACLE-L <<A
    href="mailto:ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com">ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>Date:     Wednesday, June 20, 2001 1:22 AMSubject: RE: Disk     configuration
    It
    all depends on what kind of os/filesystem/and disks you have.   I     know that under AIX, using SSA drives we could actually tell where on the     disk we wanted the filesystem to go.  This way we could position     certain things in the faster location.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>But personally, I would not go thru the trouble.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>
    have never had a DB slowdown so far because of placement on the     drive.   Admittadly, I have had probelms based on putting     conflicting tables/indexes on the same drive .... you want to keep things     that could be access simultaneously on  different media.  But     other than that ....  no other conflicts.

        <FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>-----Original Message-----From: KC
        [mailto:kchan_at_speednet.com.au]Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001
        9:36 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
        ORACLE-LSubject: Disk configuration
        Dear List,

        Someone told me when a disk
        receive a write request, it write to the nearest free space on disk
        where the disk read/write head is currently positioning, is this
        information correct?? If this is true, is this a bad thing for database
        application?? That mean we can't really control where the file go, for
        performance purpose we may want to put certain files on the outer tracks
        of a disk, if the write location is depending on where the read/write
        head is, how can we avoid that, can we create subdisks from the outer
        track of a disk and create a logical volume from it??

        <FONT color=#000000 face=Arial

size=2>KC Received on Tue Jun 19 2001 - 19:31:30 CDT