RE: Disk configuration

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:55:42 -0700

As
that person if Santa exists.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
The
datafiles allocate their extents upon their creation, so a new insert will write within that space,

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen." Christopher R. Spence <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Oracle DBA <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Fuelspot

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: KC   [mailto:kchan_at_speednet.com.au]Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 10:36   AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Disk   configuration
  Dear List,

  Someone told me when a disk receive
  a write request, it write to the nearest free space on disk where the disk   read/write head is currently positioning, is this information correct?? If   this is true, is this a bad thing for database application?? That mean we   can't really control where the file go, for performance purpose we may want to   put certain files on the outer tracks of a disk, if the write location is   depending on where the read/write head is, how can we avoid that, can we   create subdisks from the outer track of a disk and create a logical volume   from it??

<FONT face=Arial color=#000000

size=2>KC Received on Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:55:42 CDT