Re: Redo latch contention

From: Jon Walthour <jwalthour_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:51:36 -0700

Rajesh:

I'm a bit confused here. You say that you are going to tune your redo allocation latch contention, but, based on the output presented, you don't have any redo allocation latch contention. The threshold to determine contention is misses/gets >= .01 or
immediate_misses/(immediate_gets+immediate_misses) >= .01. You do seem to have a problem with redo copy latches, but not redo allocation latches. So, I wouldn't mess with the log_small_entry_max_size parameter. Besides, in 8i, to tune this parameter you would either (1) use the NOLOGGING option to reduce the amount of redo log entries for certain operations or (2) reduce the load on the latch by increasing the LOG_BUFFER parameter or decreasing _LOG_IO_SIZE. So, you really need to be worried about tuning the redo copy latch waits. To do that, Oracle recommends increasing _LOG_SIMULTANEOUS_COPIES to have more latches available. But this is on multiple CPU machines and is limited to 32. Since, under 8i, a redo copy latch is now required for all redo generation, not just that which is larger than log_small_entry_max_size, and it is held longer until the redo has been applied to the target buffers, one would expect there to be more redo copy latch contention. Based on what I have read, it seems you may also want to check for log file syncs by DBWn and tune down checkpointing if appropriate. You may also want to look at the commit rate in your application to see if that can be reasonably reduced.

Hope this helps!

--

Jon Walthour, OCDBA
Oracle DBA

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Jon Walthour INET: jwalthour_at_mac.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).