Re: Redo latch contention

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mno_at_MiracleAS.dk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:33:47 -0700

First of all, if you don't see cumulated waits for the 'latch free' event in either v$system_event or v$session_event (for a specific session/job) there is absolutely no need to do anything about these ratios. It's about the only two latches mentioned in the reference books and it's about the only two latches that never really have a problem :).

My guess is that this effort (increasing log_simultaneous_copies and log_small_entry_max_size) hasn't increased performance on your system whatsoever.

If - only if - you have latch contention/waits in the system (high percentage of time_waited in the above-mentioned v$system_event/v$session_event, you should ignore all those calculations with gets and misses and insted just look in v$latch like this:

select name, sleeps from v$latch order by 2;

to find the latches with highest contention. But again: If your system or session is not really waiting for latches, why bother?

Rajesh Dayal wrote:

> Hi All,
> I had some situation of Redo Allocation and copy latch
> contention as stated in following output.....
>
> SQL> SELECT substr(NAME,1,18) NAME, GETS,MISSES, IMMEDIATE_GETS,
> IMMEDIATE_MISSES
> FROM V$LATCH WHERE NAME LIKE '%redo%'
> /
>
> NAME GETS MISSES IMMEDIATE_GETS IMMEDIATE_MISSES
>
> ------------------ ---------- ---------- -------------- ----------------
>
> redo allocation 74878 16 0 0
>
> redo copy 114 100 53756 232
>
> redo writing 30219 1 0 0
>
> 3 rows selected.
>
> Realizing small contention on redo allocation latch, I increased
> the value of "log_small_entry_max_size" from 80 to 90.
> But this would definitely overload (already suffering) redo copy
> latches, so I increased the value of log_simultaneous_copies from 2 to
> 6.
> This sorted out redo latch contention, but somewhere in FM it's
> mentioned that value of log_simultaneous_copies shouldn't be more than
> (2 * #_of_CPUs). Again I know that the CPU is "not" heavily used so far.
> So...
>
> 1. Is it OK to set log_simultaneous_copies higher than 2*CPU. What are
> the golden rules. I have seen some authers not mentioning this.
>
> 2. Why this parameter is missing from Oracle 8i?? Has Oracle changed the
> algorithm?? What is the new strategy to handle redo latch contention??
>
> Interestingly, in Oracle 8i (Oracle 8.1.6) Tuning Manuals they
> still talk of these parameters(which are made obsolete)...
>
> Appreciate your inputs ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Rajesh
> Author: Rajesh Dayal