RE: the conversion is from Mainframe flat file to Unix Flat file

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:31:37 -0700

Hi Raymond,
 EBCDIC= Extended Binary-Coded Decimal Interchange Code. A format developed by IBM a long time ago to represent characters as numbers for the computers. This format is mainly used by Mainframe computers (those big monster computers in that cold room with a combination lock on the door ;-)

 Most PCs, Apple/Macs, UNIX use ASCII code (ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange) to do the same.

 To read the EBCDIC coded data on a UNIX server, you will need to use 'dd' command that can read and convert data coded in EBCDIC to ASCII, provided the tape drive can read that tape. I think it should not contain any tape label (unlabelled tape). There may be some third party tools to do the same on NT/Win2K.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com