Increasing Freelists?

From: Miller, Jay <JayMiller_at_tdwaterhouse.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:35:46 -0700

We've been load testing an application that will be allowing customers to enter their email information through the web. The loadrunner application was experiencing periodic freezing after which it would go back to normal. Reviewing the statspack information I saw a high number of buffer busy waits with the majority of the buffer waits being data block waits. This is not surprising, since the application is doing heavy inserts into several tables.
The recommendation from an article I have is to create multiple freelists for the tables undergoing heavy inserts. I've never done this before and I have no idea of how many to create. Increase the freelists from 1 to 2? More? What about freelist groups?

And am I correct that the table must be dropped and recreated to increase this parameter?

I was hoping to have read Gaja's book before I had to deal with this but it's still in the mail :).

Thanks in advance.

Author: Miller, Jay
  INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 15 2001 - 13:35:46 CDT