RE: Space Manager vs. Live ReOrg vs TS ReOrg

From: Jenkins, Michael <Michael.Jenkins_at_Nextel.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:07:59 -0700

We use LiveReorg here and have had a few problems. When it works, it works very well and when it breaks it can hose your database. It does invalidate some objects and you will need to manually recompile them if you don't tell it to do it for you. Since some objects are invalidated because of dependencies you may have to recompile some anyway. Obviously any that depend on a private database link cannot be compile by LiveReorg.

Now, on to the problems. Even though the advertised special is that you can run it in the middle of the day with thousands of users logged on with no interruption it is not completely true. We have given up and only use it after-hours, even in LiveReorg mode. The problem is that it can sometimes fail when it can't exclusively lock everything that is associated with one table. So if you have foreign keys referencing the table and the table has foreigns keys into other tables you will have problems if somebody has a table lock. Sometimes I think DDL locks cause problems too.

When the script blows up it will leave triggers out there that let everyone know that a LiveReorg is "in progress" so you will start getting phone calls right away. Believe me, the first time it happened to me I think I actually lost five pounds from sweating the entire two hours it to me to straighten the problems out. Eventually I was able to drop the triggers and create the missing grants from the LiveReorg script I had saved.

My advice is to be very careful when evaluating the effects of LiveReorg. I moved 300+ tables from one tablespace to another on Q/A and everything went fine because there were very few users logged in. We have 25 or so more tables to go in prodution and I wrote all of the DDL myself just because I have lost faith in LiveReorg. We have another DBA that has used it in Oracle Applications with very much the same problems.

Good luck.

--Michael

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Jenkins, Michael
  INET: Michael.Jenkins_at_Nextel.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 15 2001 - 12:07:59 CDT