Re: Statspack report !! Resending Can someone help Please

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mno_at_MiracleAS.dk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:38:16 -0700

Here's a response from someone who really knows... a(nother) bitter, old man, in other words.

I think SQL*Net was called SQL*Star or something, at least with version 5?

The 'user calls' has nothing to do with the number of SQLs being executed, the number of SQLs being executed is 'execute count'. You may notice, that 'user calls' and 'SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client' are very close to the same figure.

Back in the gold old days, when Oracle2 was written in assembly and running on the PDP-11 boxes, the RSX11 operating system had a feature that later was adopted by VMS. Namely the possibility to within one task (a "process" for you modern folks) to execute in different environments with different privileges. What you today know as client/server or two-task was really a single task, that would run in user mode or oracle mode (and kernel mode, but that's a different story). And whenever you made a call down this stack, this was a 'user call'. Although we now do piggy backing of calls, you can to some extend think of calls like parse, execute, fetch, commit, etc. being these user calls.

SQL*Net (honestly, and this is a shame, I don't recall what we earlier called our networking interface) was a new invention in Oracle3, that allowed the user mode process and the oracle mode process to exist on two different systems, or just two processes on Unix with a two task interface such as pipes, and the previous user call was implemented as a SQL*Net roundtrip. Hence, not including some uninteresting details, a 'user call' is today almost identical to a SQL*Net roundtrip, but it really has little relation to the code executed in the client process (such as parse, execute, fetch, etc.) due to our focus on reducing the network roundtrips.

(For those, who have seen a picture of the Oracle stack, the user-side is called UPI and the Oracle side OPI, but even these old friends (Oracle2) are now gradually getting thinner and replaced by new stuff. However, the basic principle is still the same)

"Valiveru, Siva" wrote:

> All,
> Can some there PLEASE clarify this question..
>
> what is the corelation between "user calls" in the statspack report to
> number of sql's executed during the timeframe..
>
> This is what i am doing please correct me !!
>
> We are trying to capture the total number of sql's calls during two time
> events (say t1, t2), what i was doing to take the snapshot report and copy
> of the v$sqlarea at t1 & t2.
>
> 1) the sum of total number of executions from two V$sqlarea tables at t1 and
> t2 should be the total sql's excecuted. right ??
>
> 2) what way the figure at step1 is releated to the "user calls" in the
> statspack report for difference of t1 and t2.
>
> *** Is there any other method do u suggest to capture number of sql's
> application is throwing during a timeframe.
>
> Thanks,

> Author: Valiveru, Siva
> INET: SValiveru_at_ea.com

Venlig hilsen