Oracle online (marketing) training + linux rant.

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:45:48 -0700

http://www.oracle.com/education/oln/index.html?oln_learn9i.html http://www.oracle.com/education/oln/index.html

something to fill up the cable modem pipe - that you don't have to be 18 to access.
I watched the 9i Database overview (while burning 9i 4 leenucks CDs)

Yes, my time might have been better spent actually reading the 9i Administration manual, but I just don't feel like reading right now.

Michael Hasenstein wrote:

> Gregor Schinke wrote:
>
> > anyone of you knows, if Oracle 9i is ready for Kernel 2.4
> > or have I still to use the glibx 2.1?
>
> Oracle 9i was developed by Oracle on SuSE Linux 7.1. They later switched
> to the kernel from SuSE Linux 7.2. That means the build platform is:
> - glibc 2.2.1
> - kernel 2.4.4.SuSE
> - gcc 2.95.2
> 9i should also support LFS (>2 GB files) now.
>
> Larry Ellison will be on stage in Redwood Shores (Oracle Conference
> Center) presenting 9i on a 4 node Compaq (DL580s) cluster, running 9i on
> SuSE Linux. You can view it live on the Internet! I was there when they
> did the last adjustments yesterday.
>
> --
> For additional commands, e-mail: suse-oracle-help_at_suse.com

Michael Hasenstein is THE man for Oracle on Linux. This site is definitely worth a look:
http://www.suse.com/en/support/oracle/

Is it just me - or has anyone else seen that Dell offers "Linux 7" pre-installed on PowerEdge Servers?
This utterly INFURIATES me.
If Dell truly "gets" Linux - they wouldn't allow an obvious faux-pas such as this.
There is no such thing as "Linux 7".
"Linux" != "RedHat"
I wonder if the use of the term "Linux" in this manner may in fact be a copyright/trademark violation.
Please don't misunderstand me - I'm very glad that Dell ships pre-installed Linux distributions on its PowerEdge and Precision boxes - just call it what it is - ideally - "Dell/RedHat GNU/Linux 7.0". I'd settle for "Dell Linux 7.0".

used RedHat 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2.
as far as I was concerned - RH 7.0 was a terminal release for RedHat. Too many other good distributions.

mucking around with Oracle on SuSE (7.1) anyways - since the 6.2 release (swag at NYLUG).
playing on Mandrake 8.0.

Paul

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: paled_at_home.com