RE: DB shutdown - NT

From: O'Neill, Sean <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:02:40 -0700

Paul Drake wrote:
>>Please patch 8.1.7.0.0 to at least 8.1.7.0.2, I've been using 8.1.7.1.2
>>for 6 weeks.

Thanx for the patch info Paul.

Debbie wrote:
>>It is really hit and miss with Oracle on NT. I have all servers set up
>>the same (including the registry settings) and some will shutdown the
>>database properly others don't. I have bugged Oracle for an answer but
they
>>always say that the best thing to do is for you to shut down the database
>>yourself (manually or via a script) and not rely on the stopping of the
>>service. I have the same problems with installs.....on some boxes the
>>installs work fine and on others it crashes...and again Oracle just says
>>that it is a known problem on NT and tells you how to work around it on
the
>>boxes that it fails on. Go figure????
Fuzzy stuff, don't ya just luv it. I don't mind writing script so shutdown the database but
was hoping to provide some sort of "neater" shutdown if server was being shutdown without having to
ask NT Admins to please remember to run this script if you need to shutdown server. Then there is
the overhead of mantining these scripts if passwords etc are changed. Hang on..... I sense a reply coming on more efficient way to do above!

Bruce Reardon wrote:
>>I would rather check the alert log for "Shutting down instance
(immediate)"
>>to confirm the shutdown type.

The alert log was not showing a shutdown of any type, just good old crash recovery after startup!

Thanx for your replies guys and gals and no doubt there's more to tease out on this, BUT, I'm away on holidays after today until June 28th so it may need to be picked up when I return. They still give DBAs quite a bit of freedom here ;)

Sean :)

Rookie Data Base Administrator
[0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA
[0%] OCP Oracle9i DBA

"Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too." - BB King

Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie