RE: Working from home

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:54:16 -0700

PROS

Got much more done, or at least thats how it appeared Better coffee/tea/snacks in the house.
No hour long drive to/from work
Nobody can just wander up to your desk to get you to do something. I can start getting dinner ready for a reasonable hour for us both.

CONS

Although email and mobile phones are a godsend, communication can still be a problem (I currently only have one phone line in the house and if I'm dialled in then there is only the mobile). This is a biggy. Ensure that if you are doing it, your work agree to install a second "fast" line into the house for you to use to work from.
There is of course the lack of banter in the office from your mates. Sometimes, you may have to drop everything and have to go in anyway. I can start getting dinner ready at a reasnable hour for us both :-)

Generally it works well for me and can really help my wife if for example we are getting furniture delivered or getting work done to the house. Although she works a lot more locally to home than me, it is harder for her to get time off to do it(they don't do telecommuting !!).

As far as how it is perceived by management, they get the job done and I am a lot happier at work (or home !!), knowing the options are there. As I am under little supervision if any at work anyway,(I don't actually have an immediate superior, my boss is 300 miles away in London),I can be relied upon to do my job responsibly be it at home or in the office without any worries on their behalf.

HTH Lee

Author: Willett, Mark
  INET: mwillett_at_sunnen.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Author: Robertson Lee - lerobe
  INET: lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 14 2001 - 01:54:16 CDT