Re: OT: Perl module question

From: Nguyen, Long (ITS, Limestone Ave) <Long.Nguyen_at_its.csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:33:17 -0700

Thanks Tommy and Jared for the advice.

I have downloaded perl5.005_03.tar.gz from CPAN, unzip and untar it and started the installation. So I ran

        sh configure
and accepted default answer for all the questions asked. However after pressing ENTER for the two questions

        Any additinal cc flags? [-I/usr/local/include]
        Any additional ld flags? (NOT including libraries) [ -L/usr/local/lib]

the configure script compiled a simple "try.c" program and ran it, but failed. The error messages were

        Checking your choice of compiler and flag for coherency
        I've tried compile and link the following simple program:

        #include <stdio.h>
        main() { printf("O\n"; exit(0); }

        I used the command:
                gcc -O -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -o try try.c -lsocket

-lnsl -lgdbm -lgl -lm -lc -lcrypt
./try and I got the following ld.so.1: ./try: fatal: libgdbm.so.2: open failed: No such file or directory Killed The program compiled OK, but exist with status 137. (The supplied flags or libraries might be incorect). You have a problem . Shall I abort Configure? [Y]

BUT, the file /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.so.2 does exist and is a link to /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.so.2.0.0 .

So, I do not understand. Please help.

Thanks
Long

  Long Nguyen
  Oracle DBA
  CSIRO Information Technology Services
  Long.Nguyen_at_its.csiro.au
  Phone         02 6276 6646
  Mobile        0418 612 269

Author: Nguyen, Long (ITS, Limestone Ave)   INET: Long.Nguyen_at_its.csiro.au

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 13 2001 - 23:33:17 CDT