Re: Working from home

From: Joe Raube <jraube_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:51:29 -0700

We only use Unix(Solaris) or Linux - no Windows NT. This makes remote administration much easier.

I work closely with our System Administration team so that I always have Secure Shell access to any machine that I need to administer, as well as ssh w/ X forwarding for any machine that I need to install Oracle on.

Communication is handled thru email, conference calls, instant messenger tools, and soon to be netcam conferencing.

Accountability - many of the project managers that I work for ask for weekly reports - and many will send an instant message or phone call if they want a status update. I make sure that I communicate clearly, often, and as pro-actively as I can. We use newsgroups and mailing lists for much of our communication.

You are correct in the fact that most of the benefits are to the employee, but I have tried to make the company benefit as well.

For example, I have no desk space at the office - I need to use a guest cubicle the few times a year that I go there. I have all interested parties initiate any phone calls, so that I do not need to expense my phone bill. I have a virtual phone at the office -- no phone rings when you call my extension there, you just get my voice mail.

I make sure that I am available during off-hours, to do database maintenance and production changes and releases, and I make sure that people know I am always available to do so.

Some unforeseen problems? Hmmmm... nothing that a fax machine, Airborne/Fedex, or other technology hasn't been able to get around. Sometimes conference calls are tough, when you can't see the whiteboard with the drawings on it, but I get faxed drawings later.

-Joe

> Hi All,
>
> I have a few off-topic questions for those of you who are allowed to work
> from home either occasionally or on a regular basis. My department is
> putting a proposal together to present to management and we're looking for
> any information you could provide. How did you handle accountability? How
> did you handle communication between work and home? What were some of the
> unforeseen problems that you encountered? Were there any specific company
> benefits? (This appears to be more a benefit to the employee than to the
> company.) Thanks to all who can reply.
>
> Mark
>

> Production: In Progress:
> Oracle 7.3.4.4 Oracle 8i
> Oracle Apps (Fin/Mfg) 10.7SC Oracle Apps (Fin/Mfg) 11.5.3
> Sun Solaris 2.6 Sun Solaris 8 (2.8)
>

> Mark Willett
> Corporate Database Administrator
> ---------------------------------
> Sunnen Products Company
> 7910 Manchester Ave
> Maplewood, Missouri 63143 USA
> Voice: 314.781.2100 x2429
> Fax: 314.951.2749
> E-mail: mwillett_at_sunnen.com
> The statements and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect those of Sunnen Products Company.

> Author: Willett, Mark
> INET: mwillett_at_sunnen.com

Do You Yahoo!?
Author: Joe Raube