Re: LDAP

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:47:06 -0700

"Mohan, Ross" wrote:

> Anyone have any idea when/if the Net8 clients will
> support/interface with Netscape/iPlanet LDAP offerings?
>
> Any thoughts welcome...!
> Author: Mohan, Ross
> INET: MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com

Ross,

   I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but I was looking for a way to make Oracle applications access the contents of a Netscape LDAP server. The idea was to map pseudo-tables upon PL/SQL tables (using the object option) so as to enable applications to issue SELECT * FROM LDAP$... types of queries. The problem is of course first to map the essentially hierarchical structure of a LDAP directory into relational tables (Back to the Future IV), and to create 'derived' views to hold multivalued attributes, and, as I am lazy, to do it automatically. I have a program (currently very ugly) written using OpenLDAP libraries which connects to the Netscape server and 'shows' (text mode, yek) the contents. You select the information you want to map with Oracle and it generates code to do it. Charlie Mengler has pointed me to the DBMS or UTL LDAP package, which can be used to fill the PL/SQL tables with the proper info. In my case, there was a snag, which is that it cannot work with MTS - and I have MTS. So I also generate C code for a daemon. I have a prototype in which the daemon writes a file used as cache which is then read with UTL_FILE by the PL/SQL function which fills the tables. Not very smart but it works. I am putting the last touch to another daemon which gets requests and sends info through an Oracle pipe, thus acting as a kind of proxy for the LDAP server. Would like to turn this into a true product, but still very far from it.

--
HTH,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation