Re: what's wrong with this...DBMS_SQL

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:06:01 -0700

Agreed, I should have stated, that it works with current version and might behave differently in future versions.
Though this is not the only feature, which can change in the future, so thorough testing when upgrading is required anyway. And oracle does not always say in docs, what could change in future releases.

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
Perceptron, Inc.
(734)414-4627
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

> Igor, read the docs more carefully.
>
> it states that you should do the execute because the parse is NOT
guaranteed
> to work that way in the future.
>
> Do does it work without the execute, yes, will in work in the future,
maybe,
> just do the execute and don't worry about it :)
>

> right out of $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmssql.sql
>
> procedure parse(c in integer, statement in varchar2,
> language_flag in integer);
> -- Parse the given statement in the given cursor. NOTE THAT PARSING AND
> -- EXECUTING DDL STATEMENTS CAN CAUSE HANGS!
> -- Currently, the deferred parsing feature of the Oracle Call
Interface
> is not used. As a result, statements are parsed immediately. In addition,
> DDL statements are executed immediately when parsed. However,the behavior
> may change in the future so that the actual parsing (and execution of DDL
> statement) do not occur until the cursor is executed with "execute".
>
> -- DO NOT RELY ON THE CURRENT TIMING OF THE ACTUAL PARSING!
>
> Joe
>

> >From: "Koivu, Lisa" <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
> >To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> >Subject: RE: what's wrong with this...DBMS_SQL
> >Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:46:38 -0800
> >From root_at_fatcity.cts.com Tue Jun 12 07:18:28 2001
> >Sender: root_at_fatcity.com
> >Author: Koivu, Lisa INET: lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com
> >
> >Thanks Igor for setting me straight. I don't see that in the doco but I
am
> >looking at 8.1.7.

This

Author: Igor Neyman