RE: Shared server model

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:23:32 -0700

Just a comment.

I am not a NT fan, and dispise using it for Oracle. But I will repeat something I said many times.

For the $10,000-$20,000 budget, I can make an NT server out perform any unix box on similar budget.

NT's problem is NOT that it is slow, I beg to differ, it can hold up with most unix boxes any day of the week for a lot of differnt tasks. It is that is scales really poorly after breaking into mid level market, and it is prone to alot of DOS (Denial of Service) bugs.

Let me see any unix box for under $20,000 grand out perform a Eight 1000MHz, 4Gb Ram, 512Mb write-back cache, 20 Cheetah NT box.

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Fuelspot

Author: Rao, Maheswara
  INET: Maheswara.Rao_at_Sungardp3.com

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 12 2001 - 11:23:32 CDT