RE: Removing Older version of Oracle on NT Machine

From: Rajesh Dayal <Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:39:36 -0700

Hi All,

I'll add some points about NT backup to this list of steps...

1.a. Backup all drives, sample command could be

ntbackup backup c:\ d:\ /B /V /L " D:\FULLBACKUP.LOG" /D "FULL SYSTEM BACKUP" /B would backup registry.

1.b. Create one repair disk by typing command rdisk at command prompt. This should always be created as part of complete backup. But you need to create/update them only when there is any changes in system configuration/ softwares.

1.c. Optionally you can take export backup of Registry. Type regedit on command prompt and select Registry->Export Registry file.

Of course Above steps I would execute as first step......

Next while removing services I had faced problems recently using ORADIM(xx).

The command should be

ORADIM80 -DELETE -SRVC <service_name>
or
ORADIM80 -DELETE -SID <sid_name>

The executable name for Oracle 8i is ORADIM. So while deleting services through ORADIM80, it was not getting deleted.

        Alternatively, you can delete it from Registry, as follows...

2. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and remove all keys under here that begin with ORACLE.

Now some final clarification about Deleting registry entries of Oracle...

3.a. Start the registry at the MS-DOS command prompt: C:\> REGEDIT

3.b. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE and delete this ORACLE key.

3.c. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC and expand all subkeys and remove all keys under here which are related with the "Oracle ODBC Driver"

3.d. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and remove all keys under here that begin with ORACLE.

3.e. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\... \Application and remove all keys under here that begin with ORACLE.

3.f. Close the registry.

4. Environment Cleanup can be done by right clicking "My Computer" icon on your desktop. Then Choose Properties->Environment. Here you can delete/set PATH variable and other variables(e.g. ORACLE_SID,ORACLE_HOME etc.) Just note that these variables are derived from this location if not found in Registry and take precedence over Registry entries( Similar to Unix :-).

        I hope we have compiled the complete steps, anything still left... Feel free to add ;-)

Cheers,
Rajesh

> Hi All,
> This question pops up once in a while. I did not pay much attention to
> replies before (not much of an NT person), but I think I will now,
since I
> am also running into similar situation and it's always good to learn a
few
> new things.
>
> If anyone has a step-by-step procedure to do this right the first
time,
> please post it. All NT users will thank you :)
>
> If not, add on to (or correct as appropriate) the following check
list:
> 1) Shutdown the database (assuming only one is running)
> 2) Stop the database service (via MS gui or otherwise)
> 3) Stop the listener service (via MS gui or otherwise)
> 4) Manually remove all database files (optional?)
> 5) Remove the above services ( a sample command syntax please ... )
> 6) Use Oracle Installer to remove stuff (shall we say 'yes' to all
those
> silly questions about shared programs, ddl etc. ?)
> 7) Back up registry (exactly how?)
> 8) Edit registry to remove Oracle under (blah blah.... please provide
the
> dirs/subdirs names.)
> 9) Check and clean up Environment variables, if set for Oracle
> 10) Reboot server (I would, since Registry was fiddled with)
> 11) Check for any if leftovers.. (if found, what to do?)
> 12) ...anything else?
>
> Once we have a 'proven' checklist, any volunteer's to post it on their
web
> site? I don't have one (yet).. Jared/Chris? Others?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Kirti Deshpande
> Verizon Information Services
> http://www.superpages.com

HKEY_LOCK_MACHINE/SOFTWARE
> > in
> > the registry. Perhaps there are some other things you should do but
this
> > has always worked for me in the past. Make sure you get rid of all
> > databases and services first also.
> >
> > - Ethan

Lists

-