Re: RAID5 question, take 2

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:36:58 -0700

Gary,

Here is where we have to know more details.

a 9 drive array on a single channel sounds like your peak I/O rate for reads would be throttled by the controller channel speed. Now, if the SCSI interface is ultra 160/m, and the drive support a sustained rate of 20 MB/sec - you're not pinched. But if the RAID controller interface is FC - and only 100MB/sec - you're going to be seriously pinched during index range, fast full and full table scans - bulk reads.

Are you using fine-grained striping - such that a FTS will be using the multiblock_read_count and will hit all 8 drives (net)? what's your:
db_block_size
multiblock_read_count
OS I/O size

If your OS I/O size is 128 KB
and your db_block_size is 16 KB
then a multiblock_read_count = 8
and a stripe size of 128 KB - or 16 KB depth per stripe member. (as the parity drive is ignored)
and each member in the stripe contributes one block in each read request for a FTS.

SAME methodology would imply that your OS I/O size has been cranked up to 1 MB, and that your stripe size is also 1 MB. On a FC interface - the transfer speed for a 1 MB read would be 10 ms - on par with the average seek time.
But SAME is not geared for RAID 5 - as RAID 5 supports having the drive heads out of sync to satisfy mutliple independent requests concurrently. SAME is geared more for RAID 0+1 - where the drive heads in an array move in unison - with all drives returning the results of one request at a time.

What do you want to return for your read requests - (1 db_block, multiblock_read_count, 1 MB)?
This will depend entirely on the access paths that are used in YOUR application.

Basically - a 3 drive RAID 5 array is useless. Don't even consider it. Better off to have a single RAID 1 volume with a hot spare. If I were to break the 9 drives up (it would be as a RAID 0+1 of 4 drives each)

if most of the read requests have been driven by an index - and only one block is being requested - the 9 disk RAID 5 config is the way to go - as seek time will dominate transfer time.

just my opinion.

Paul

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: paled_at_home.com