Re: Crash Recovery

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:35:29 -0700

Kevin,

First off, I cc'd the list on this. When posting a question to the list, it's a good idea to include the list in any replies, as there's a lot of good folks there. The respondent ( me in this case :) may not have good information.

For instance, I don't have access to any 7.3 docs.

I think that with one db writer on Solaris with filesystems, you're going to wait a long time for a rollback on a large DML operation during crash recovery, regardless of the recovery_parallelism setting.

If you had async io, it would be different, but you don't really.

The docs for 8i address this, and I would expect 7.3 to act this way as well.

I've had this happen on a DW in 7.3.4 as well, though mine took significantly less time than yours is.

By the way, is it done rolling back yet?

You should be able to connect internal and examine the rollback status and see how many blocks there are to go via v$rollstat.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com