Re: Veritas Quick I/0 and Oracle/ Asycnchronous I/O

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:01:04 -0700

George Schlossnagle wrote:

> 1 for PCI NVRAM for swap and online redo
>
> I totally buy into using this sort of technology for online redo,
> but using it for swap just seems silly. You shouldn't be swapping anyway,
> and if you are it's much cheaper to buy ram than to buy a solid-state disk.
>

>>      64 bit slots allow for (max) 350 MB/sec transfers. wow.
>>      cdw has these (special order) -
>>      http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=209969
>>      the one listed looked like it supported a 32 bit interface.
>>      $2500 each. ouch.
>>      sounds like a good way of justifying an adequate number of hard drives
>>      for online redo.

>> Paul

George,

Agreed about it being silly for swap on a *nix box, but if you're running on a brain-dead OS that is going to page stuff out uncontrollably (NT/W2K) even with lots of available memory - its still a good idea to give the OS some pagefile space on NVRAM.

I should have called it pagefile - not swap.

Paul

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: paled_at_home.com