Re: Crash Recovery

From: Danisment Gazi Unal (Unal Bilisim) <danisment.unal_at_unal-bilisim.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:46:39 -0700

Hi,
Oracle was doing full recovery in older version during crash recovery ( I guess pre
7.3, but I'm not sure). But now, Oracle does not do full database recovery during
crash recovery. Some un-recovered blocks are recovered when a user tries to use
them later. So, if your online log files are not tooooo huge, recovery is not a problem in your case.
I guess ( I dont't like estimation), SMON may be cleaning up TEMP segments. Add following event to init.ora to see what is happing during recovery: event="10013 trace name context forever, level 10" This will show stages of recovery in alert log. If, SMON is trying to clean-up TMP segments, add following event to init.ora to
disable SMON Temp cleanup:
event="10061 trace name context forever, level 10" You can remove Event 10061 from init.ora later. There should be an event that makes SMON clean-up TEMP segments part-by-part. By this event, SMON doesn't clean up all TEMP segments immediately. SMON cleans up some parts of TEMP segments. after a while, SMON cleans up remainder parts. But, I dont't remember this event now. NOT: Be sure these events are active. Run "show parameters event" in svrmgrl after
STARTUP NOMOUNT.
"Naik, Kevin K" wrote:

Hi All,
I have an interesting problem, on one of my databases, a data warehouse, a killed session was taking too long to rollback.  It was time for the backup, and I had to do a shutdown abort.
No its time to open the database, instance parallel recovery is taking place as normal, but the problem is, its being running for more than 20 hours and the database is still not open.
Does any body have any clues, thoughts, ideas ?? Is there anyway I can see what exactly the dbms is up to ? The instance processes running are completely idle Thanx
K Naik

Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of Standard Bank Investment Corporation (Stanbic) is proprietary to the company. It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. Stanbic does not own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of Stanbic. The person addressed in the e-mail
is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content in any way.
Stanbic can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

--
Web: http://www.unal-bilisim.com
*********
Questions and Answers: http://www.unal-bilisim.com/qa/discus/
*********
itrprof SQL Analyzer: http://www.unal-bilisim.com/products/itrprof/itrprof.html
itrprof SQL Analyzer is a web based tool which analyzes
SQL_TRACE/Event10046 trace files of Oracle,
finds bottlenecks and offersinformation on how to tune them.
*********
iOraBugFinder: http://www.unal-bilisim.com/products/iorabugfinder/iorabugfinder.html
iOraBugFinder is a web based tool which scans Oracle's alert log files,
ORA-600 and ORA-7445 trace files; extracts relevant information from
them
and generates URL links to relevant bugs, notes, forums at Metalink.
*********