RE: Veritas Quick I/0 and Oracle/ Asynchronous I/O

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:44:54 -0700

Cached
Quick IO gives you pre-fetch capabilities similar to EMC devices, of course, not nearly as good, but it certainly does help on reads. <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If you
have Veritas license, Quick IO is great.  But raw is certainly still the most effective.  But Veritas gives you 95% of the advantages of Raw and none of the disadvantages.
"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen." Christopher R. Spence <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Oracle DBA <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Fuelspot

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com   [mailto:Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com]Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 7:20   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Re:   Veritas Quick I/0 and Oracle/ Asynchronous I/O<FONT   face=sans-serif size=2>Ian
      Quick IO does bypass the unix buffer cache completely,
  thereby avoiding few problems such as double buffering, double copying, vnode   locks associated with the ufs,xfs or veritas non-quick I/O files. Oracle can   use Quick I/O capability and asynchrous I/O on these Quick I/O files are also   supported.
  As per the veritas benchmarks Quick I/O is very close in performance with raw   volumes. Raw volumes are marginally better than quick I/O as per veritas.
        IMHO, I

  would vote for raw, even though Quick I/O is a viable option too.
 ThanksRiyaj "Re-yas"

  ShamsudeenCertified Oracle DBAi2 technologies   www.i2.com

      "MacGregor, Ian A."
        <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU> <FONT face=sans-serif
        size=1>Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
        06/08/01 02:30 PM <FONT
        face=sans-serif size=1>Please respond to ORACLE-L
              <FONT
        face=sans-serif size=1>        To:
           Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> <FONT face=sans-serif
        size=1>        cc:

          Subject:        Veritas Quick I/0 and Oracle/
        Asycnchronous I/O<FONT

  face="Courier New" size=2>Will Oracle use the Quick I/O capability of Veritas   on database writes; that is, will it bypass any file system buffer cache and   write directly to disk?   Is the  implementation of asynchronous I/O
 imnproved in Solaris 8;  does one have to use raw disks or does it
  now work properly with UFS or Veritas?I need to configure a machine to   provide for the maximum number of transactions per second.  Our   Accelerator Controls folks are at it again, testing how much data they can   push into Oracle.  They have backed off the plan of having 6000 Beam   Position  Monitors sampling at 120 Hz write into the database; although.,   720,000 transactions per seconds might be fun to try.  But they do want   to see what they can do.  Obviously, the programs which collect the data   from BPM's and other sensors needs to do some buffering.  But when they   dump to the database I need the writes to happen as quickly as   possible.The current method of handloing this via ring buffers and   doubly-linked lists.  They want to look at replacing the lists with an   Oracle database.   Our initial tests will be done using a 4 processor   ES-450.Ian MacGregorStanford Linear Accelerator   Centerian_at_slac.stanford.edu-- Please see the official ORACLE-L   FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author: MacGregor, Ian A. INET:   ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDUFat City Network Services    -- (858)   538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California
   -- Public Internet access / Mailing
  REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:   ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message   BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing   list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command   for other information (like
subscribing). Received on Sun Jun 10 2001 - 11:44:54 CDT