How to read foreign characters into PL/SQL?

From: Stas <stant_98_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:03:17 -0700

Hello all,

I'm faced with writing a procedure that converts foreign characters (occasionally found in our database in foreign names and addresses.)
I've been given a "sed" command file with these special characters, that's supposed to do pattern matching and substitution.

This will be a function that accepts a character string, parses, and replaces the foreign character with ASCII character, and returns the converted string.

The question I have is how do I read these foreign characters into my PL/SQL procedure so that I can put my logic together?

I've attached the "sed" command file so that you can exactly see what I'm referring to.

Thanks very much.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
s//ss/g