RE: Serious Question (believe it or not)...

From: Hawkins Family <jhawkins_at_primary.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:01:11 -0700

Thanks for the reply, Rachel, and all others who wrote back offline and through the list. Basically, here was my idea:

Most DBA topics have been beaten to death, and I would have nothing new to contribute. There is one area, however, that I see could be explored...

Here goes...

"Tips, Tricks, and Epiphanies" by various authors.

I was thinking about putting all those neat little tricks and tips I've learned over the last few years down in writing. Examples would be everything from dynamic SQL to connecting as a user without knowing their password via the encrypted string. Also, I've had epiphanies where about 8 things all the sudden come together at once in a moment of shining brilliance. One such thing happened a few weeks ago courtesy of Rachel herself in describing the recovery using a backup controlfile (open-ended SCN). These are the things I think could be useful - things not normally included in a DBA 101 book.

So here's what we do: I think of 5 or 10 things like this, Jared thinks of his, Rachel of hers, Ross of his, April of hers, and anyone else. We then make sure there's no overlap. We then organize these into the following 5 sections: Administration, Backup/Recover, Tuning, SQL or PL/SQL, Miscellaneous. If we get 10 experts to contribute 10 unique tips, tricks, or epiphanies, then we have a book. Someone (me or Jonathan Gennick from O'Reilly) compiles them all and writes some wrapper material, and voila!....a book! Easy, right? I do have a writing background, so this is why I became interested.

Having said all this, having 3 kids under the age of 4 and a wife, I also have taken what Rachel said to heart. Right now, I think it would just be something to think about.

Jim Hawkins
Lead SAPR/3 Oracle Database Administrator MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc.
501 Pearl Drive
St. Louis, MO 63376
(636) 474-7832
jhawkins_at_memc.com (work)
jhawkins_at_primary.net (personal)

Carmichael
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 4:40 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Literary background is meaningless in writing a technical book... I don't have one and I managed :)

Developmental editor if you can't write? Not hardly likely. That's what I've done on both Marlene Theriault's Networking 101 and Gaja's Tuning 101 books.   You need to be able to write to make the books interesting and at the same time technical enough.

Technical editor has to know Oracle very well, because you are responsible for ensuring that the scripts and statements in the book are absolutely accurate.

Neither is a trivial job. Nor are they ones that can be done in a spare moment or two.

How did I get started? I was asked by people I knew to do the technical edit on a book. Do I recommend that you do this? NO!

Understand that writing a book is NOT something you do in your spare time. It does not matter how well you think you can write, or if you know Oracle backwards and forwards. You have a full-time job while you are doing this, you have (one hopes) a life that you want to keep as well.

You can't slack off on the job, that's what pays the bills. You have deadlines to meet. You can't slack off on those, or the publisher takes the book away (yes, they can do that). So your life disappears.

Jim, if you really truly think you can do this.... stop and think again. I spent 6 months of no life writing 101 and this was with co-authors! Yes it is worth the end product but understand that while you are going through it, it's hell.

As for how to get started..... Oracle Press has a submission form on their website for people who are interested in writing a book. They really do read the submissions.

Am I trying to scare you? You betcha. Because if you STILL want to do a book after this, then I know that you really will get it done.

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

Author: Hawkins Family