Re: What next ?

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:23:30 -0700

Do you want a paper to say you are marginally qualified to be a DBA or do you actually want to learn database administration?

If it is the latter, my opinion is:

0) Learn as much as you can about Oracle in general. Being an exceptional developer means understanding what your code does inside Oracle, so start there.

  1. Learn SQL*Plus, PL/SQL, and whatever else you need to do your job (e.g. Java, XML, Pro*C++, etc.).
  2. As for the "real DBA" aspects, start with the development oriented aspects - explain plan, tkprof, SQL trace, and the easy stuff first, then graduate up to how the shared pool (&library cache), buffer cache, and other SGA elements work internally.
  3. Learn how to design efficient applications - basic modeling, normalization, denormalization, data integrity mechanisms, the impact of different algorithms, etc.

[Not necessarily in strict order...either above or below this comment. there are some "functional dependencies", but parallelism increases throughput!]

By now, if you have learned this stuff and are actually practicing it, your DBAs will *LOVE* you! Find a willing mentor among them. Perhaps become the DBAs' unofficial liason to the development staff. You might consider holding "brown bag" lunch training sessions with the other developers to spread what you have learned...

4) Learn the basics of how Oracle stores database objects and how to properly size objects and realistically predict and accommodate object growth. Learn the importance of conscientious analysis in this respect.

5) Learn the Oracle architecture.
loop

    Read the concepts manuals.
    After finishing each section, go discuss it in detail with your mentor(s)

    Practice what you can on your sandbox system - at home or at work. end loop;
-- Just when you think you know it all, read it again and discover what you -- missed or misunderstood the first time around! Is this an infinite loop? Yes!
-- Purposely! After 12 years, I still do it! The loop just takes longer to execute now...

6) Refine and expand on your knowledge of tuning, recovery, ad infinitum...

If you just started doing Oracle development a few months ago, this is not an unrealistic plan. It might take a year. It might take more - or perhaps even less. You have a real chance of being invited into the "DBA club" at your organization in midstream! I've seen it happen.

This approach will build your real skills a LOT faster and much more solidly than "cramming for OCP exams" would ever do! You shouldn't need to "cram". If you actually learn this stuff, you can breeze through them! Much more importantly, you will have real experience! You will also obtain something that is much more important in the long run than the "knowledge" necessary to pass the OCP exams - actual understanding!

Knowledge is like data. Understanding is like the ability to process data. Data is important, but without the ability to process it efficiently, it is useless! In addition, knowledge (data) becomes outdated, but understanding is, by its very nature, adaptive.

[Odd and tangentially related aside: Ever had to take a trig class and memorize a lot of trigonometric formulae? Half-angle formulae, double-angle formulae, etc? Ask anyone who really knows mathematics if they have all these memorized. Some do from sheer repetition of their use, but many don't. These formulae are simply "knowledge". "Real" mathematicians and scientists don't have to clutter up primary memory with all this trivia! They know one simple equation, Euler's equation, know how it works and can derive any of them in a minute or so!]

Believe it or not, some of the most important and difficult things DBAs do is educate developers, advise developers, perform code and design reviews, and to (try to) compensate for poor development and application design practices - with things like tuning obscure instance parameters, shared pool size, and other "trick of the trade". Granted, there are some essential DBA tasks - backup and recovery, physical layout, Net8 configuration, etc. - that are not development-centric, but many of the best DBAs I've ever seen were, at one time, outstanding developers.

Contrary to official propaganda, OCP certification is not the holy grail. It isn't a Nobel prize. By itself, it is a learner's permit. It may also be useful to get over the threshold for that first DBA job interview. As soon as you feel comfortable with SQL and PL/SQL, take that exam. Take the others in what seems to you to be their nature order, as you progress.

Just my very opinionated opinion,

-Don Granaman
[Certifiable OraSaurus]

PS: What does "X" DBA years @ 45-90 hrs/week translate to in human years?