Re: PCTUSED??

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:34:35 -0700

You might consider Dave Ensor's suggestion to set PCTUSED = 0! As inserts occur, entire blocks are filled, but never put back on the free list until they are completely empty - saving on the on/off/on/off/... freelist shuffle that would mix records from different periods in the blocks and making the purge process handle more blocks. There are other advantages also such as handling fewer blocks on date range scans.

If the data is already "well ordered" in the blocks, this won't make a difference though - as mentioned by Greg. All those other points are good ones also. Perhaps the "ideal" solution (other than cost!) is to use rolling temporal partitions and perform the purge by partition maintenance operations.

-Don Granaman
[Certifiable OraSaurus]

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com