Re: Shared Pool info - V$sqlarea.

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mno_at_MiracleAS.dk>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 09:04:09 -0700

He also gave the presentation at the IOUG-A in Orlando recently, so it should be available from their CD's/archives or whatever. It's a neat presentation. Way too many people and monitoring products want you do keep increasing db_block_buffers until your BCHR is about 99.9% or so. It's pure nonsense, of course.

Once I worked on a large SAP site, where the SAP Early Watch kept saying the problems in the system were due to the BCHR being too low. That went on for a few months while performance became progressivly worse. When the customer passed the 1G mark (for the buffer cache alone) they called me/Premium Services and the wait interface showed all the wait time to be with the "free buffer waits" event, meaning the DBWR couldn't keep up (no async IO, therefor making the buffer cache bigger made the problem bigger, etc.). We set up multiple database writers to simulate async IO (long story) and it all worked nicely...

This is not to say anything bad about Early Watch, but to say something bad about the ratio-based/checklist tuning "method" :-))).

Venlig hilsen

Mogens Nørgaard

Technical Director
Miracle A/S, Denmark