RE: dbms_utility.analyze_schema OR dbms_stats ?

From: Toepke, Kevin M <ktoepke_at_cms.cendant.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:50:12 -0700

All:

>From reading the release notes for 9i it appears that ANALYZE table and
DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA are desupported in 9i. The only supported way to generate stats in 9i is DBMS_STATS.

In addition, DBMS_STATS can generate stats for tables in parallel and make use of the new MONITORING feature to only generate stats on tables with stale statistics.

In addition, do not mix calls. Use one or the other. According to the Docs, ANALYZE can not delete and does not overwrite some stats generated by DBMS_STATS and vise versa. I have run into the situation where calls where mixed and got really strange results until stats were deleted using both methods and regenerated.

Kevin

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us

Author: Toepke, Kevin M