RE: Renaming columns ...

From: <Ken.Eaton_at_dankasi.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:54:57 -0700

I have done this on 8.1.6 by :

   Altering the table to add the new column;    Copying the contents of the old column to the new one;    Altering the table to drop the old column...

lhoska_at_calibresys.com_at_fatcity.com on 06/05/2001 06:13:49 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

This will work:

RENAME TABLE_NAME TO table_name_2;

create table TABLE_NAME
as select * from table_name_2;

DROP TABLE table_name_2;

Note you don't need to issue a 'commit' after after create table or drop table. Also, when you do create table as select from another table there is no need to specify the columns. The new table you created will have the same columns as the tables you're selecting your data from.