RE: How to remove corrupted blocks from datafile.

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:01:52 -0700

This is always an ugly problem. And I am sure there are utilities to take care of these things.... but for those of use who have to do things by the manual method, this is what we ended up doing.

  1. Do a select of the row_ids on the table in row_id order. When we found a row_id bad record we then recorded this and then proceeded with a select where the rowid_was greater than that one. Sometimes we had to try a few IDs away from the bad one because they were all in bad blocks.
  2. When the row_id select was done we then did a create to a temp table based on the row_ids that were good from the bad table.

In this manner we new exactly the count of bad records based on how many row_ids we skipped.

It was a very long weekend because this was a very large table we went thru. But it worked out in the end.

Author: Kevin Lange
  INET: kgel_at_ppoone.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 16:01:52 CDT