Re: iAS installation update

From: James Howerton <jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:39:45 -0700

I'm also having difficulty installing 9iAS EE, everything installs except discoverer, that has failed every time. I get the same thing on V1.0.2.1 and 1.0.2.2... I opened a TAR on this, they said there were problems using CDE for the install and to try again using Openwin. I did, the discoverer portion of the install still failed. I have also used the same and a different $ORACLE_HOME for the 8.0.6 stuff. I'm using an existing 8.1.7 instance (on the same box) as my Origin database. What environment variables are you setting prior to the install? The Doc's aren't very clear on this.

...JIM...
>>> luis_deurioste_at_rac.ray.com 6/5/01 11:07:18 AM >>>
Patrice,
I've installed 9iAS successfully, what I've done is just run the installer from the CD and on a new machine (virgin OS install) I selected all the defaults, and guess what everything work. In turn 9iAS created an ORACLE home in which there is a 806 and an iSuites directory, apparently when they say the 806 home what they refer to is that directory, the 806 directory seems to be where the tool set (Forms/ Reports) are housed and the iSuites where the Apache server and that stuff is.

On a machine with a whole bunch of other ORACLE products, such as DEV 1.6 (FORMS 4.5 / Reports2.5), Designer 2000, Developer 6i and Personal Oracle 8.1.7, I've chosen a different home for each product and everything works fine. Of course a bunch of stuff is duplicated, but who cares Hard drive is cheap, the main thing is that everything works as advertised. When I tried installing everything on default Oracle homes nothing worked and it was a nightmare.

My experience from the installs.

Good luck

Tavo

Author: James Howerton