Re: ora-600

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mno_at_MiracleAS.dk>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:50:33 -0700

I worked with RDBMS support in Oracle Denmark for far too many years, and I'm not that scared of 600's anymore. To provoke a bit, I find that they are in general harmless, and then in some cases indicate serious stuff.

When looking at Oracle source code, you will (if you ever get the chance :) ) see this kind of thing:

If.... then signal ORA-942 (or rather OERR(00942))

   if .... something unforeseen happens, signal 600 with specific arguments (OERI(17112))
Else... signal ORA-1000 (OERR(01000))

Of course I'm making up these numbers, but the two functions called are OERR for normal errors and OERI for Oracle ERror Internal. So the ora-00600 [17112] is because the normal error codes couldn't handle the situation.

So the first argument for an ora-600 error is the "error code" and is indeed specific for a certain part of the Oracle code. Support/Development can easily look up where in the code this is signalled, but it can be very difficult to find out why it was signalled (I'm saying this, because I rarely could figure it out - of course all the smart types could, but I couldn't).

In the case of ORA-00600 [17112], however, I do have some notes:

Internal heap errors/corruptions:

[17066]
[17112]
[17114]
[17148]
[17182]…

E.g. “BAD MAGIC NUMBER” in trace file

So look in the trace file for "BAD MAGIC NUMBER" and you will know that a problem occurred in the heap. There can of course be a lot of reasons for this magic number to give errors when computed. Check the bug database or Support for specifics. But it's not fatal or anything.

Venlig hilsen

Mogens Nørgaard

Technical Director
Miracle A/S, Denmark