RE: ora-600

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:59:43 -0700

Kevin,

ORA-600's and ORA-7445's are very similar in some respects in that they are related to the death of a process.

ORA-600's are essentially exception handlers so there are literally thousands of different ORA-600's. Some errors are signaled in only one situation, others can occur in hundreds of cases.

An ORA-7445 is merely the Oracle error assigned to the return code when the OS terminates the process (bad process!). BTW, ORA-7445's are not signaled on NT, NetWare or Linux. Instead, the following errors are signaled: Dr. Watson errors (NT), abends (NetWare) or "Errors in file..." entries in the alert.log and trace files containing "Exception signal..." (Linux).

With ORA-600's the first argument is very specific, so when searching on metalink include the first argument.  Any additional arguments are specific to the environment (DBA's, object ID's, memory addresses, etc...) so they should not be searched on since they are unlikely to be the same.

The arguments on ORA-7445 errors are usually irrelevant as they are frequently generic ([SIGSEGV], [SIGBUS], [Address not mapped to object], [Invalid address alignment] etc...).

If you can identify the type of operation generating the error, then it helps to search on that along with the error. In some cases this will be in the trace file under the heading "Current SQL statement for this session."

These errors frequently indicate bugs, but can also occur due to other reasons such as hardware/OS problems, corruption, or incorrect environment settings. For example, a corrupt block can signal an ORA-600 error because the information in the header of the block is out of sync.

The best way to determine the cause of these errors is to log a tar with support as much of the information in the bugs is viewable only to support. They will need the alert.log (preferably going back to the last startup, but at least the last 3-10 days) along with the trace files generated (upload the whole file, don't just cut and paste portions of it).

In the case of multiple errors in the alert.log, supply the trace files from the first couple of errors as often the first error can cause cascading errors.

If a trace file is not generated by an ORA-7445, then you should try to extract a stack trace from the core file (see notes 1812.1 and 1007808.6). This needs to be done using the executables that generated the core file, so don't bother sending the core file to support.

I'm developing this into a presentation that I hope to present at OpenWorld ("ORA-3113's, 600's, and 7445's Oh My!) so please feel free to send me questions or topics I should cover.

HTH,

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
Author: A. Bardeen