Re: Idea for Very Cool 9i.x Feature

From: <Srini.Chavali_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 12:36:22 -0700

Ethan,
Try
http://www.oracle.com/admin/account/ers/index.html Have fun !
Srini Chavali
Oracle DBA
Cummins Inc

"Post, Ethan" <epost_at_kcc.com>@fatcity.com on 06/04/2001 12:56:05 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

Where do we submit our ideas for enhancement ideas anyway?

I read an article by Dan Hotka about some of 9i's new features. One of them
he calls "Data Pump". It allows you do define a SQL*Loader file structure internally using a CREATE statement. Then you can treat it just like any table or view. INSERT INTO table (SELECT * FROM blah) would actually pull the data in from the blah file on disk. Not sure if you can insert into the
blah file but that would be very cool.

The next logical progression, and perhaps it already exists, would be to integrate this using XML and remote locations. For example you could do something like this:

CREATE VIEW remote_blah

   USING DTD '/u03/oradata/xml/salesorder.dtd'    FILE 'salesorder.xml'
   LOCATION 'ftp://www.customer.com/mydir'    USER blah
   PASSWORD cool;

Then to send a salesorder to the customers system you would just do an insert into remote_blah, the data would be transformed using the DTD or XSLT
and sent via FTP or other possible protocols directly to the customers file systems. Most likely FTP would not be the best choice but you get the idea.
The customer would define the incoming file as a view of some kind and just do a SELECT from it to take in your salesorder. In fact they could put a trigger on it that would automatically process the sales order. I'm sure this is coming and this would be very cool for all sorts of applications. It would in essence hook all of our systems together via our DB interface thus getting rid of another layer of abstraction.

Hope that all makes sense, let me know what you think! And no more COCO comments :) it's COCP - Ethan

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under law. If you have received this message in error, please inform us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy. Thank you.

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: epost_at_kcc.com