Re: Size, what is it?

From: Dave Morgan <dave.morgan_at_cybersurf.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 11:20:08 -0700

Hi Mogens

        I agree with all your statements.

        What I am trying to figure out is what is it that streches the
        machine. I was quite surprised to see an E450 doing 10GB of
        transaction logs per day. Pure OLTP using stored procs.

        I was hoping to get descriptions of the types and amounts of work
        a "large" or "busy" database does along with the description of
        the hardware that is being used. This would allow a baseline to
        be developed for estimating.

        For example how much OLTP work can a Linux 2 CPU machine with
        lots of memory do? How many DSS users can a similar machine
        support? I would also like to ask similar questions about other
        UNIX configurations? VAX/VMS would also be interesting.
        NT, someone else can do the work if they want :)

        SUN is also now offering hardware RAID 3 in their RSM2000 array.
        As I mentioned the Baydel array beats RAID 5 easily, and is
        substantially cheaper than an equivalent RAID 10 (1+0) array
        which is my preference. (and everyone elses :)

        Thanks for your input.

Dave

Mogens wrote ...

--