RE: Router filtering

From: Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty_at_incts.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:45:10 -0700

i am not entirely sure about the ports and how they are used as I have not attempted such things. However some of the active state firewalls, Cisco PIX and Checkpoint fit into these, I believe do active filtering and will open ports at random by looking at the actual traffic. I believe that it is to solve these exact issues. It looks at whether it is a reply to a request from previous traffic as I understand it. The problem with these products is that they aren't cheap.

HTH Peter

Author: Peter McLarty
  INET: peter.mclarty_at_incts.com