Re: About parallel server

From: Richard Ji <rji_at_exenet.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 14:00:51 -0700

A couple of years ago, no vendor has a distributed file system (one that will let all nodes in a cluster to mount and access the same file system simultaneously).
And that's why we had to use raw device. Maybe DG had it? So which vendor has it then and who has it now?

Richard Ji

>>> jkstill_at_cybcon.com 06/01/01 12:44PM >>>
On Thursday 31 May 2001 13:09, sheisey_at_att.net wrote:
>So whether you are using 7, 8, 8i, 9i you can use
> filesystems for OPS (RAC) if the OS supports multiple
> concurrent mounts on the same filesystem from multiple
> nodes.

Scott,

Thanks for answering a question I asked Oracle several years ago. Tried and tried, could never get an answer.

We were considering OPS on DG Aviion Systems using Clariion RAID ( now owned by EMC I believe ) and that system did share filesystems between nodes. ( OS was DG/UX )

Never could get an answer from anyone on whether we would be required to used raw with this setup. I suspected that it would not be necessary.

Now 6 years later, I get my answer. :)

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com