Re: ORACLE NAMES /LDAP

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:19:01 -0700

The most simple analogy is would you prefer to manually maintain a "host" file on each client or use a single facility such as a DNS server ot provide the mapping between hostname & IP_number?

At some point switching from using TNSNAMES.ORA files on all Oracle servers & client to a single/centralized "name server", such as Oracle Name or LDAP, make sense.

It is not directly a question of "need", but an issue of the level of effort for ongoing maintenance.

Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com