Re[2]: Fire your DBA's you don't need them anymore...

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:13:05 -0700

Don't hold your breath!! BTW: Do you remember the claim of the nuclear power industry? That by the turn of the century electricity would be so cheap and plentiful we could waste it at will. Tell that to those folks in California!!!

Dick Goulet

Author: "Don Granaman" <granaman_at_home.com>
Date:       5/31/2001 3:35 PM

What a hoot! I mean all these wild statements about not needing DBA's anymore (or sometime in the future). Is Oracle actually getting simpler with each new release? With tongue firmly planted in cheek, here is the Oracle 5.1 DBA "OCP" exam. You be the judge...

Q1) How do you cold start an instance?    (A1: IOR I[NIT])
Q2) How do you warm start an instance?  (A2: IOR W[ARM])
Q3) How do you shut down an instance    (A3: IOR S[HUT])
Q4) Name all the background processes? (A4: ARH, BIW, BBWR, and CLN)
Q5) What is ODL?                                   (A5: Oracle Data Loader)

Passing score: 60%

I can remember hearing about how by the turn of the century (the last one that is), programming would be completely obsolete. I can remember hearing many years ago about how we would all be riding in robotic flying cars by now and about how automation would leave so little work for humans to do that mankind's greatest challenge would be to find something to do with all that leisure time. I'm still waiting...

-Don Granaman
[Certifiable OraSaurus]

> I need to find the article I had saved about Oracle 6.0 (as we were
preparing to upgrade from 5.1). It was something about how the 6.0 DBA would be bored and would now be able to help appdev.

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com