RE: Suggestions on SCSI

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:44:05 -0700

Kevin,
You did not state the OS you will be using. If it is a flavor of LINUX them 3ware makes a ISA card that will handle disk drives like they were SCSI drives. You save the high cost of disks and spend it on the card. But I bought 2- 40 GIG WD drives last week for $109.00 each and put them in my Dell OptiPlex desk top as a test but running Linux. Total disk space 90 GIG in the box. Partitioned the drives at 8 GIG partitions. Real fast queries using LMT and Partitioning of the tables and indexes. www.3ware.com product name ESCALADE
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> kevin_at_dulcian.com 05/31/01 04:01PM >>> I was thinking the 18's where a better idea now that everyone agrees. However, I can't go with more than 4 drives unfortunately, this is on a Dell Precision 410. I could try and add an additional scsi adapter, but I am not sure that I would have a place for the drive, unless I went external.

        Also, this is purely a development box, it's not like I need ultimate performance, it's just a bunch of developers that will be complaining and I can just blaim their code. I will not be implementing any sort of raid either. Thanks again for the advice!!
Kev

Author: Kevin Kostyszyn
  INET: kevin_at_dulcian.com

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

Author: Kevin Kostyszyn
  INET: kevin_at_dulcian.com

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 15:44:05 CDT