RE: Oracle 8.1.7 and Apache

From: Fisher, Julie <jfishe_at_sandia.gov>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:38:03 -0700

Ken,

(FYI, I used a version of Apache (1.3.12) that came from Apache's web site, not the version that came with Oracle. And my web servers and database servers are on different machines. And my web servers are running Kerberos and SSL. And I still can't believe it all works together.)

Check Apache first. Configure the documentroot directive in the httpd.conf file. In the directory specified in documentroot, put a simple <name>.html file. Point your browser to that <name>.html file. If your browser can execute the little .html file, then Apache is working. So now you have Apache running and a http process running on your machine, to connect into your Oracle database, you need some sort of intermediate software. I use Oracle 6i Forms and Reports.

On the web servers (Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7), I created two users, one named httpd, which owns the Apache listener process. And one named Apache, which owns the Apache software. I also have an Oracle user on the machines that own and run the Forms and Reports software/processes. Root is the user that starts the Apache listener process under httpd's userid. And all this is just to get started...

This isn't a simple process - at least it wasn't for me, but you're probably a whole lot smarter than I am. I had to do a lot of reading and talking to web people here - I will help you as best I can. If you want any copies of files I have, I will email them to you offline.

Julie

Julie Fisher
Sandia National Laboratories
Oracle 8i DBA - OCP8i
Solaris 2.6,7/HP-UX 11.0 System Administrator Web Server Administrator

Author: Ken Ballard
  INET: tcballk_at_monitor.tc.cc.va.us

Author: Fisher, Julie
  INET: jfishe_at_sandia.gov

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 15:38:03 CDT