Re: About parallel server

From: <Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:14:38 -0700

Ray
        I think, you are referring to RAC, Real Application Cluster. Which is same as OPS with cache fusion for all scenarios. Please see my previous mail thread with the same subject..

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
i2 technologies   www.i2.com

Ray Stell <stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
05/31/01 11:36 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: About parallel server

I have heard from iouga attendees that there was is something called "Rack" from oracle/compaq on the horizon with 9i which is the next replication solution.  Can folks comment on this? What is the architecture and how does this play with oracle? Is this just an OPS on some alphastation?  Our compaq sales droid didn't know the answer.  Thanks.

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:07:10PM -0800, Fernando Papa wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I have some questions about parallel server. Now we have only one instance
> "stand-alone" (no parallel), but we are thinking to switch to parallel
> server because we have a couple of sparc 3500 and nobody are using it, and
> we think it's good for increase our processing power.
>
> The problem is I didn't work with parallel server and I have a lot of
> questions about it:
>
> 1) Is mandatory to use raw devices for control files, redo logs & data
> files?
> 2) How we transfer our cooked data files to raw devices data files?
> import/export? or exist another better (fast) method?
> 3) If I start with only one node, performance will be the same of one single
> instance (no parallel)?
> 4) Somebody know how to work with raw devices under solaris? any link? I try
> to found someting in metalink but there's no samples...
> 5) What about backup? I can't put tablespaces in backup mode and copy with
> cp... maybe it's time to use rman?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Fernando O. Papa
> DBA
> El Sitio - Infraestructura
> (54-11) 4339-3854

> Author: Fernando Papa
>   INET: fpapa_at_elsitio.com.ar
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_stell.cns.vt.edu

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists