RE: Snapshot Logs Explanation Needed

From: Tracy Rahmlow <Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:05:08 -0700

If you do a snapshot refresh then the snapshot log should be empty(correct?). Then I would think you could reorg the master table as long as you prohibit users from updating the master until the reorg and the recreating of the log is complete. Thus eliminating the need to do a complete refresh of the snapshot.

---------------------- Forwarded by Tracy Rahmlow on 05/31/2001 12:29 PM
---------------------------

      PM PST

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

Been a while since I worked with snapshots, but if I remember correctly, each record in a fast refresh snapshot keeps a mapping back to the rowid on the master. If you drop and recreate the master table, the mapping is hosed and updates/deletes do not propagate to the snapshot.

Brian Norrell
Manager, MPI Development
QuadraMed
511 E John Carpenter Frwy, Su 500
Irving, TX 75062
(972) 831-6600

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Tracy Rahmlow INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L