RE: Auto Extend

From: Kimberly Smith <kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:37:29 -0700

We had
an issue here where we had the Sun box to except files over 2G but got bitten in the ass quickly by it.  We use HP OmniBack to backup all our Unix boxes and the agent on the Sun box could not handle the file size.  So there is more then just "Can the OS handle it" to keep into account.  Thankfully nothing had written to the extra portion and we were able to shrink it again.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Lisa Koivu   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001   10:08 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Auto Extend
  Hi Ron,
  do you have large files enabled on
  your system? What unix are you running?  if large files are not enabled   you're going to get an error but I can't tell you what it will be.   Boy, autoextend reminds me of a
  monkey running around in your database.  I'd never do that, but it's just   my personal preference.
  Lisa Koivu <FONT
  face="Book Antiqua" size=2>Oracle Database Administrator <FONT   face=Tahoma size=2>954-935-4117
  The information in the electronic mail message is   Cendant confidential and may be legally privileged, it is intended solely for   the addressee(s) access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone   else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,   copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance   on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.   The sender believes that this E-mail and any   attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code   when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during   transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the   recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and remedial   action about viruses and other defects. Cendant Corporation or Affiliates are   not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message or its   attachments.

    -----Original Message----- <FONT

    face=Arial size=1>From:   <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Smith, Ron L. [SMTP:rlsmith_at_kmg.com] <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Sent:   Thursday, May

    31, 2001 10:31 AM <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>To:     <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Subject:        <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>Auto Extend

    I have taken over an Oracle database that is     setup with autoextend on the <FONT face=Arial     size=2>tablespaces.  Can anyone tell me what happens when the datafiles     extend beyond 2G on Unix?
    .

    Fat City Network Services    --
    (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 <FONT face=Arial     size=2>San Diego, California        --     Public Internet access / Mailing Lists <FONT face=Arial

    To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send     an E-Mail message to:
    ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in     the message BODY, include a line containing:     UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing     list you want to be removed from).  You may <FONT face=Arial     size=2>also send the HELP command for other information (like     subscribing). Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 13:37:29 CDT