Re:About parallel server

From: <Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:06:13 -0700

Dick
        As far as I know, at least in Sun, sequent, hp and linux, you need to have control files and redo log files in raw disk. Every instance needs access to other thread's redo log files to do instance recovery for the failed instances. Only if the data  is in the raw disk, multiple nodes can share the same disks. Control file is updated by all the instances. Out of curiosity, what OS were you using ? I just read Scott Heisey's email too and realized that you don't need to use raw disks for few platforms such as True64. May be you were one of those platforms?         Rachel is absolutely correct and we have learnt this lesson hard way. But Oracle 9i Real Application cluster ( aka OPS) is supposedly remove these barriers. Cache fusion is a new feature introduced in 8i, by which disk writes due to true ping is avoided by transferring the data directly from one instance to another instance cache,( only for consistent reads in 8i). Oracle 9i apparently introduces cache fusion for read/read, read/write,write/write scenarios also. In this case, there is a probability that the required block to be transferred between the instances just from the buffer cache itself avoiding the disk access. Also Oracle claims that Real application cluster does not need any change in the application design. I am not sure how all this going to play in the real field, but interesting to know.

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
i2 technologies   www.i2.com

"Rachel Carmichael" <carmichr_at_hotmail.com> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
05/30/01 09:50 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re:About parallel server

Even more importantly, if you are planning on implementing parallel server just "to increase your processing power" then you are going to be in trouble!

If you haven't specifically designed your application for parallel server, you can end up DECREASING performance by increasing locking and pings.

This is not something you do lightly once an app has been installed into production.

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists